Plurk: An anti-micro blogger’s perspective

by James Duthie on June 23, 2008

Let’s get one thing straight… I hate Twitter. I know it’s hard to hate something you’ve never used, but the concept just seems completely lame to me. Anyone who’s seen my blogging diary would know that my free time is very limited. So why on earth would I want to enter the Twitter-verse? Do I really need to endure constant interruptions of inane small talk…? Certainly not! Indeed, while Twitter mania reached a frenzy over the last 12 months, I have remained the epitome of an anti-micro blogger. That is, until now…

Ironically, it isn’t the adoption of Twitter that has me reconsidering my stance. I have spread my anti-Twitter message to just enough people that adoption would result in endless ridicule and torment. It is the emergence of Plurk, Twitter’s latest competitor that has me rethinking my attitude towards micro blogging. You see, despite my hardcore anti-Twitter sentiments, I couldn’t help but be curious as to what all the fuss was about. So when Plurk started to gain popularity, I saw the opportunity to check out this whole micro blogging craze for myself (minus the ridicule).

Now… I’m still far from a complete micro blogging advocate. I can see both positives and negatives to usage. But with all the Twitter & Plurk love-posts out there, I thought it’d be interesting to share the thoughts of a pessimist. And on that note, I’ll start with the negatives…

Micro Blogging Negatives

Karma

For some reason, Plurk has decided to allocate a ‘score’ to each user. This score is also known as karma, and is calculated based on a person’s usage of the service. The more a person Plurks, the higher their karma score. Undoubtedly, the objective is to keep people engaged with the service.

Karma sucks! It promotes pointless and inane usage in order to maintain or increase karma. It fosters endless discussion, not meaningful discussion. To Plurks credit, they’ve responded quickly to criticisms of the algorithm with more equitable improvements. But the fact is that as long as a karma score is maintained, people will abuse the system with the objective of reaching the ‘Top Plurkers’ list. Why exactly do we need to know who the top Plurkers are anyway…?

Clutter

The reason I hate karma is because it causes clutter. The majority of people I have befriended are digital marketing professionals. I have the utmost respect for all of them. Yet to my surprise, even some of them are getting caught up in the karma chasing shenanigans. Most of their Plurks remain semi-relevant, but there is still an element of pointless drivel to sort through…

Furtermore, Plurk’s timeline interface isn’t particularly user friendly or scalable, especially once you’ve got 70+ active friends. Clutter is a real issue. And for that reason I’m hesitant to continue to grow my friendship network. More friends means more clutter. And as I add friends I know less and less about, the likelihood of the drivel factor increasing is significant.

Time wasting

Plurk is addictive. Far more addictive than I ever imagined. Which means the site can be sticky. For some reason I find myself returning regularly to monitor conversations I’ve created or contributed to. I often wonder why… At 140 characters per response, how important or insightful can they be?

On a number of occasions I’ve visited Plurk with the intention of taking a quick look at the current conversations. Yet an hour later I’m still mucking around in there. Don’t get me wrong, Plurk offers some great networking potential (which I’ll talk about in the positives), but it should not suck up hours of your time. Of the time I’ve spent in Plurk I suspect about 40% has been productive and 60% has been pointless. And that is time that I could have spent working on my blog. Plurk is good in moderation, but usage must be controlled.

ROI for newbies

Ultimately, I believe micro blogging platforms offer the greatest potential to experienced bloggers with established audiences. Renowned bloggers can use Plurk to drive traffic, solicit immediate input and find new readers. But that potential is severely limited when you don’t have a sizable audience. If a newbie Plurks in the woods but nobody’s around… does it make a sound…? Probably not.

And while ongoing commitment to usage will be likely to leverage some benefits for newbies, there are far better ways to make your voice heard. Like writing great content for your own blog. Or if networking is your objective, start commenting on other industry blogs. Fellow bloggers are far more likely to take notice of someone that adds intelligent and insightful thoughts to their blog discussions than a Plurker leaving 140 characters of wisdom. Plurk should be part of your networking strategy, not your entire strategy.

Micro Blogging Positives

By now it probably seems like I’m a walking/talking contradiction… singing Plurk’s praises at the start of this article, only to rip into the negatives. But there have been a range of positives. Let’s have a look at what I’ve liked about Plurk:

Extending relationships

As I stated earlier, I don’t think Plurk is the best place to start your networking initiatives. I prefer a more targeted networking process. But I do believe Plurk is a great place to deepen established relationships. Once a connection has been created, Plurk can be the perfect place to learn more about a person. Most micro bloggers reveal more about themselves within this format than they would via their blog. Simply watching a person’s Plurks will often tell you what their interests are and what they do in their spare time. I’ve found myself chatting about sports, insomnia & other random topics with my Plurk friends. And I think it’s helped to deepen some friendships I’ve formed.

Research

I often find myself wondering whether the processes I implement in maintaining my blog are normal. I’ve always wondered how other bloggers manage their tasks/life. Plurk gives me the opportunity to throw random questions about blogging out there, and gather some insight into the topic. So far I’ve learned a little more about:

  • How people deal with writer’s block
  • How long people take to prepare and write a new post
  • Which social media applications people use
  • How people turn their brains off at night

With Plurk I no longer need to wonder what other people do. I simply ask…

Access to industry stars

To this point, Plurk has not reached critical mass in the way Twitter has. It’s still predominantly for the early adopters. As a result, the superstars of the world are have far fewer followers than in other mediums. Which means they’re far more accessible. I’ve never had any sort of contact with Maki from Dosh Dosh or Darren Rowse from Problogger, yet both have responded to questions I’ve thrown out into Plurk-overse. Which almost floored me when it happened! Indeed, one of the highlights of Plurk for me was trading Australian Rules footy banter with Darren (a fellow Melbournian). Undoubtedly, this level of accessibility won’t last forever, so now is a good time to get in early if you want to attempt to connect with some A listers.

The verdict

I’m a little hesitant to admit it after developing my strong anti micro-blogging stance, but I do think I’m going to continue to use Plurk regularly. The positives are outweighing the negatives for now and I can see real benefits in extending deeper relationships with fellow Sphinners in particular. The key will be to moderate my participation so that my time Plurking is productive.

So, if anyone has some humble pie baking, I’m willing to swallow my pride and eat a large slice. But I’m still not joining Twitter… :)

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 6 trackbacks }

June 24, 2008 at 11:03 pm
Too Much Fun Decreases Productivity « From My Bottom Step
June 25, 2008 at 11:13 am
Father Knows Best When It Comes To Links - This Month In SEO - 6/08 | TheVanBlog | Van SEO Design
July 1, 2008 at 12:16 am
Link-Fest for Friday June 27th 2008 | SEOpsCentre
January 16, 2009 at 1:51 am
Australian businesses and brands on Twitter | Online Marketing Banter
February 25, 2009 at 1:42 am
Microblogging; an assessment. « momentum
November 16, 2009 at 9:35 am

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Ken Jones June 23, 2008 at 9:09 am

Heh heh! Come to twitter. We have cookies ;-)

It’s good to see you on Plurk dude, even if being on opposite sides of the planet means we’re rarely active at the same times. At least we can relay messages back and forth through @theGypsy if we need to (hi Dave).

Steven Bradley June 23, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Great post James. I think you nailed most of the pros and cons of services like Twitter and Plurk. You know I think both are worth joining, but I agree they aren’t all sunshine and roses and much of the success people might have with either is based on what they’ve done outside of Twiiter and Plurk.

In the end both are tools and it’s what we do with those tools that make the good or bad.

One other point on the usefulness is who else is already there. If the community you want to interact with is on the service it makes sense to be there. If your community isn’t there it’s a lot less useful.

Darren June 24, 2008 at 1:30 am

always up for some AFL banter :-)

mojaam June 24, 2008 at 4:02 am

Nice balanced review. First off, I love plurk even though I dislike twitter or just never got the big deal with twitter. I find it confusing.

I also don’t care about the Karma system. I try to plurk for myself really, I am still not sure who to invite. In part because I don’t have many so called “friends” and I’m not sure how I’ll feel about people I see and know personally stalking me. So when I plurk, it has to be slightly interesting for me at least.

I feel it is also time wasting but doesn’t that depend on how bored/boring you are. I know I had activities like reading blogs, digg, youtube, etc all on the back burner back when I had classes granted I procrastinate with all those things but on my own will. I do wish the plurks of people could be more interesting for those time wasting sessions where I browse the site. I really wished there’s a search feature with RSS capabilities. Something like tweetscan. Also wish a person doesn’t have to be friends with someone to send a private plurk to or at least leave that up to the user.

Like you said the positives do outweigh those negatives. Especially extending relationships. Now I can see real benefits of adding your friends, heck, the thing is almost useless without them.

I do wish plurk will communicate with it’s users better. There’s a comment-disabled blog and a contact form that you never get feedback from. Come to think of it, that’s how facebook operates even though facebook’s learning and now involving the users from the beginning (ie the upcoming profile changes have a facebook page with weekly updates). The creator of Plurk, Amix, did create todoist.com which uses http://todoist.uservoice.com which I just love, so maybe we’ll see a http://plurk.uservoice.com some day.

James Duthie June 24, 2008 at 10:36 am

@ Ken – Sorry bro. Twitter will never happen. I tend to be stubborn like that… :)

@ Steven – Your statement sums up my sentiment perfectly – ‘Much of the success is based on what they’ve done outside of Twitter’. I doubt there’s many that have found success via micro blogging alone. But it is a great supporting mechanism.

@ Darren – Thanks for stopping by. And next time make sure you listen to my tips :) Bet you didn’t tip the Bombers last week either… I did and it’s oh so sweet when it’s over Carlton! :)

@ Mojaam – Glad to see I’m not the only Anti-Twitter one out there. As for the people to befriend… it’s easy for me because I have lots of industry bloggers I like to follow. But I don’t have any real life friends on Plurk. They just wouldn’t be into it. As for time wasting, it just depends on how much free time you have and how you want to spend it. For me, I don’t have a lot, so excessive Plurk usage tends to waster time I could spend working on my blog.

jansegers June 24, 2008 at 9:20 pm

In any case, microblogging is now a global phenomenon…

Some microblogs worldwide

This list is a personal choice and based on three criteria: ease of operability, quality of service and experienced functional up-time.

general
twitter.com
jaiku.com
pownce.com
beemood.com
twoorl.com
yonkly.com
kwippy.com
microblogr.com
brightkite.com
plurk.com
secondbrain.com

Chinese
fanfou.com
zuosa.com
komoo.cn

Portuguese
gozub.com

Brazilian
telog.com.br

Indian
snockles.com

Singaporean
tiish.com

Italian
meemi.com

Spanish
khaces.com

Turkish
nolyo.com

French
noumba.net
poodz.com
tapioka.ca

Korean
playtalk.net

Japanese
feecle.jp

German
niimo.com

Polish
blip.pl

Dutch
numpa.nl

Portuguese
gozub.com

Russian
smspr.ru

Arabic
watwet.com

Romanian
cirip.ro

Mexican
mexicodiario.com

Czech
http://drbz.cz

special
tumblr.com
hictu.com
babl.nl
floort.com
help.com
justtell.us
talkaboutadate.com
adocu.com

multiple posting

hellotxt.com

The most exhaustive list I know about is the list made up by thw http://www.thws.cn/articles/twitter-clones.html

James Duthie June 25, 2008 at 10:03 am

Wow jansegers. That is a comprehensive list. Thanks a lot for providing it! Plenty of choice out there for all you micro blogging advocates.

Chris Prakoso June 25, 2008 at 12:11 pm

James, I’m building a tool based on Plurk at the moment. The main reason was first of all to aid myself (and others) to easily search Plurkers, something that Plurks hasn’t got around to do it yet.
What do you think, in term of functionalities, that this kind of tool should have to help Plurk user to be more productive ?

Cheers !
You can check out the tool at plurkerati.com

Frances July 6, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Can see why it would be hard for you to join Twitter now.

But if you did, then I – and others – could read your posts as you post them. They are interesting and fun and I would like to do that.

Otherwise, I’ll just subscribe in my feedreader and forget who you are and probably never look at your blog again.

email January 26, 2015 at 6:43 am

Awesome! Its actually amazing paragraph, I have
ggot much clear idea on the topic of from this article.

Donna June 17, 2015 at 12:13 am

This is a memo to the admin. I discovered your page via Bing but it was difficult to find as you were not on the first page of search results. I know you could have more visitors to your site. I have found a site which offers to dramatically increase your rankings and traffic to your site: http://anders.ga/-fn4j I managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services, you could also get a lot more targeted visitors from search engines than you have now. Their service brought significantly more traffic to my site. I hope this helps!

b2b mailing lists June 19, 2015 at 6:56 am

Pretty! This wass an extremely wonderful article.
Thank you for providing this info.

ru.topodin.com January 24, 2016 at 3:22 am

Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the
challenges. It was truly informative. Your website is extremely helpful.
Many thanks for sharing!

Leave a Comment