Ten reasons why ‘Top 10′ lists suck

by James Duthie on April 1, 2008

Is it just me, or is anyone else out there getting a little tired of the generic Top 10 articles that flood the blogosphere…? It seems everywhere I go I’m confronted with a list that will revolutionise my digital life:

“10 ways to optimise your blog in 10 minutes”

“The Top 10 ways to use social media to build your brand”

“10 ways Twitter enhances your cyber-stalking capabilities” (Ok… I made that one up)

Etc, etc… Sound familiar…? Personally, I’m so sick of this article format that I thought I’d develop my own little Top 10 list – Ten reasons why Top 10 lists suck!

And it goes a little like this:

1. Fast food blogging

I once heard a comedian compare KFC to porn… you enjoy it in the moment, but afterwards you feel all dirty and greasy. Top 10 lists are the KFC of the blogging world to me. Mass produced and not terribly good for you. In fact… they’ll probably make you fat. A handful of bloggers still manage to come up with insightful Top 10 lists (Darren Rowse, Maki from Dosh Dosh & Tad Szewczyk are a few that come to mind). However, most are simply re-hashing old ideas for the masses.

2. Linkbait

Ok… so I’m guilty of linkbaiting. Every digital marketing blogger is. I consider my recent schizophrenia article a classic case of linkbait (sadly it generated plenty of traffic but no links… sigh). However, I’d like to think my article was an original angle in an original format. Conversely, many Top 10 posts are specifically written in the format due to its inherent popularity. Add a generically popular subject matter to the mix such as SEO or Twitter and you’ve got KFC linkbait gold.

3. Filler material

Did you ever get the feeling a blogger had come up with about 8 good points for their list… but just couldn’t quite nut out the final 2. So they come up with a couple of lame points to round out the Top 10. That sucks. If you can only think of 8 good points, then do a Top 8 list. What’s the obsession with round numbers…?

4. Depth of thought (or lack thereof)

A Top 10 list is an easy way to skim over a topic. All you really have to do is identify a range of points/issues and comment briefly on each. A couple of sentences is generally all that’s required. There’s no real need for depth of thought or detailed research. Just identify the issue and move on to the next point. No wonder they’re so popular. They’re easy.

5. Stuff

See point 3.

6. False Controversy

Top 10 lists naturally attract attention and debate. Anyone that releases a Top 10 albums, Top 10 sportsmen or Top 10 movies is the immediate target of (sometimes heated) debate. It makes me wonder how often producers of Top 10 lists deliberately insert, delete or misplace items specifically for the purpose of creating false controversy and debate.

7. They’re not secrets

Let’s get this clear… there are essentially no secrets in our society today. The web has made sure of that. With hundreds of thousands of experts contributing to the web’s infrastructure on a daily basis, you can find out anything you want at any time. All you have to do is search. So please… don’t title your post along the lines of ‘The 10 secrets of online marketing success’. I could find your ‘secrets’ anywhere, particularly if the subject matter is popular enough to put into a Top 10 format.

8. Authority

Authority in the blogosphere is a complex issue. With so many authors it’s difficult to ascertain exactly who the experts are, and who’s opinion you can trust. Too many cooks spoil the broth. And the amount of people producing Top 10 lists simply creates clutter. The SEO Myths controversy within Sphinn is a good example of a Top 10 post that lacked authority, expertise and credibility. In a perfect world, Top 10 lists would only be produced by true industry experts such as Seth Godin. They’re the only ones I pay attention to… so by all means feel free to ignore this post.

9. David Letterman

Perhaps it’s because I’m not American… but he’s just not very funny. So… for making the Top 10 format universally popular, Dave Letterman makes my list of suckiness.

10. They’re bloody everywhere

But I think I’ve made that point already…

The ten reasons why Top 10 lists suck disclaimer - Yes, I do understand that list formats are easily digestable and online users prefer bite sized chunks of information. So what? The same effect can be achieved by breaking an article up with sub headings. Need proof…? Check how many times industry heavy weights Jeff Quipp, Rand Fishkin, Lyndon Antcliff, Dave Harry and others implement a list type format. Not very often…

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 2 trackbacks }

Google thinks I’m a pyromaniac! | Online Marketing Banter
May 21, 2008 at 9:13 am
Top 1 reason to avoid lists in sustainable marketing | SUSTAINABLE MARKETING BLOG
May 7, 2009 at 11:26 pm

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Tad Chef April 1, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Even if they do. They work.

James Duthie April 2, 2008 at 12:32 am

Ah yes Tad… I guess that’s why you’ve got 500+ subscribers and I’ve got a handful… :)

Lucio April 2, 2008 at 2:12 am

little bit tired of top 10 lists and SEO tricks and stuff.
The web has been doing this forever, and it’s likely we still will…
Lucio

James Duthie April 2, 2008 at 3:50 am

Tired is an appropriate word Lucio. The format is very much tired… but as Tad pointed out, Top 10 lists work. So people will probably keep using them forever… sigh.

I guess I should just deal with it.

ian April 2, 2008 at 4:11 am

Hmm…I think you’ve got about 4 of your own top 10 covered pretty nicely with this post – which of course, simply feeds back into to the whole obsession by simply taking a contrarian position on the evils of the first – which of course is rule #1 in most ten point lists.

Ordinarily I would have stumbled on by – but…David Letterman is indeed quite funny – and thought that any sort of broad dismissal of the fertile comedic mind of a late night genius like DL – needed a bit closer inspection..;-)

Good luck – nice blog otherwise!

James Duthie April 2, 2008 at 11:03 am

Yes Ian… there are indeed gaping holes in my Top 10. And that’s sort of the point… it’s bad just like most other Top 10 posts :)

spostareduro April 4, 2008 at 6:33 am

Note to self: I never did like the “if you can’t beat em’ join em’ club” but I guess I’ll make an exception here. *-)

I like top 10 lists. They are usually either thorough, informative, or at least funny. (such as the case here) And as Tad says, “They work.”

Btw..since you brought up the linkbait subject..you referenced your schizo blog post..link to
it! It will eventually provide some weight. Internal linking does that you know. *-)

Also, not like this is somn’ special or anything (unless of course we’re talking Special Olympics) but you’re now in my blogroll. Just fyi..

Cya

James Duthie April 4, 2008 at 11:45 pm

I notice you don’t write many Top 10′s yourself Kim. You must just enjoy reading them as opposed to writing them… :)

Thanks for the link tip. Will get on to it now.

And a big woo hoo for the Blogroll link! It is indeed special when an industry expert links to you. Thanks :)

Brad April 5, 2008 at 8:40 pm

That’s funny. I completely agree with #s 3, 4, & 5. Too often, the lists are just bullet points with no substance. Give me quality content and I don’t care what format it’s in.

Crazieshamrock November 21, 2009 at 8:42 am

The top 10 reasons why this blog post sucks;

1. Its another unoriginal top 10 list.

2. Some of the comments are just there for links. (You are not fooling anyone)

3. David Letterman is fucking god.

4. These lists are needed for those of us who do not read a blog everyday. (Another words) Most of the internet

5. See your number 5

6. You spent too much money on your theme.

7. You only made a top 10 list when you could have made a top 100. (You lazy blogger shame on you)

8. Twitter really does enhance your cyber-stalking capabilities. Trust me I know.

9. They are secrets if your blog only has one pageview a day and that is most likely your mother.

10. Because you are an Ozzy.

James Duthie November 22, 2009 at 2:34 am

Wow @crazieshamrock… Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today or did you not get enough hugs from mummy when you were younger. Regardless, I’m glad you’ve found trolling so the world can see what a big man you really are…

Michael Hodson February 28, 2011 at 6:18 am

am with ya 100% — here is my post on it. http://www.goseewrite.com/2011/02/top-10-lists-suck/

Leave a Comment