5 reasons online marketers should get technical

by James Duthie on January 27, 2008

NerdI’m not going to lie… Setting this blog up wasn’t easy for me. While I’ve worked in the online space for over 5 years, domain names and web hosting aren’t topics that have particularly excited me. But over the course of the last few weeks I’ve had to learn and implement processes such as domain mapping, site exportation and ftp transfers/uploads. Before you nod off I’ll get to the point… it got me wondering about online marketers reliance on technical resources…

I’d certainly relied on my technical guys to look after domains and hosting in the past. Now I don’t need to, although I’d still prefer they did as it bores the hell out of me. It’s one more string to my bow. It’s easy for online marketers to rely upon technical resources to do our dirty work. But the easy way clearly isn’t the best. There are so many reasons online marketers should develop their personal technical knowledge. Here’s 5 that came to my head.

1. Break the language barrier

Let’s be honest; programmers aren’t the most eccentric types. In fact, many of them struggle to speak in languages other than html, SQL, javascript, PHP & Ajax. Communication can be a problem. But communication barriers can be broken down if you can speak their language. An understanding of the common programming languages and their applications can allow you to have productive (if brief) conversations with your technical staff.

2. Help problem solve & trouble shoot

Two brains are better than one. The more people that understand the technicalities of a web site, the more people can contribute when the inevitable technical difficulties arise.

3. Build relationships

Online marketers need to maintain close relationships with their technical team. All good relationships, whether professional or personal, are based on respect and trust. Perhaps the best way to build this respect is to demonstrate an active knowledge and interest in what they do. After all, they’re not that likely to join you at the pub for a drink on a Friday evening. So this may be your only shot…

4. Call their bluff

If you’ve ever worked in even a medium sized business you’ll know that technical teams are BUSY. It’s not uncommon for technical priority lists to contain hundreds of projects. Therefore, technical teams are often in a rush to sign projects off. This is not always a good thing for us marketers. It may even result in a few little white lies about what is and isn’t possible. A sound technical knowledge will allow you to enter into a debate if you think someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

5. Identifying opportunities

Technology moves at a rapid rate. Staying abreast of technological news and developments will allow you to identify new opportunities for your web site. Technical teams can be insulated in their thinking and may not identify practical applications of new technology for your business.

While it’s probably not necessary to learn how to write javascript, all online marketers should have a grasp of the technical basics. A thorough understanding of html should be a start. An understanding of the applications of SQL, PHP & Ajax is even better. We work in a technical environment. So improving our technical knowledge can only make our jobs easier.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

nasrul January 31, 2008 at 1:49 pm

yes.. you are right.. sometimes it’s hard to mantain a blog.. happy blogging! :)

James Duthie January 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback Nasrul. It’s all a learning experience and a bit of fun.

Leave a Comment